home meetings contact
Financial Assistance
Wilkes County Department of Social Services

304 College Street
Wilkesboro NC 28697

Families can apply for Medicaid, food stamps, daycare subsidy, and energy assistance. Must meet income requirements to qualify for programs.
Blue Ridge Opportunity Commission (BROC)

710 Beech St.
North Wilkesboro NC 28659

BROC offers a variety of programs including financial assistance for fuel, rent, electricity, food assistance for time a year unless duet o unusual coircumstances. Works with the family to become self-sufficient, finding a job or a place to live.
Care Connection

710 Beech St.
North Wilkesboo NC 28659

Karen McNeil
Care Connection is a free and confidential service of the United Way of Wilkes County which puts you in contact with agencies and programs in Wilkes and surrounding areas that can help you. Such areas might include: Family services, housing, transportation, food, electricity, clothing, legal services, physican referrals, prescriptions assistance,elderly issues, crisis counseling, child day care, support groups, and more.
First in Famiilies

3109 University Drive, Suite 100
Durham NC 27707

See full listing under Family Support.
Salvation Army

910 C Street, Suite 105
North Wilkesboro NC 28659

Program offers emergency assistance if person is determined eligible. Offer helps with evictions and rent, electric and heating bills, prescriptions, furniture and house hold items
Samaritan Kitchen of Wilkes

4187 US Hwy 421
Wilkesboro NC 28697

Samaritan Kitchen of Wilkes (SKW) opened in March 1998. Since then we've grown considerably. What started out as one program, the Saturday Delivery program, which fed 60 families every Saturday, now has two large feeding programs the Client Choice Pantry and Project: BackPack. Samaritan Kitchen of Wilkes is a 501(c)3 non-profit agency and a partner of the United Way of Wilkes.
Social Security Administration

517 West River St.
Wilkesboro NC 28697

Call the office
The Social Security Administration (SSA) Processes claims filed by parents are guardians on behalf of dependent children of persons collecting retirement or disability benefits from the program. The Social Security Program pays survivor benefits to children under the age of 18 on the record of a parent who has died. The Social Security Administration manages the Supplemental Security Income Program (SSI). Disabled or blind children can receive SSI. Our website, www.socialsecurity.gov. is a valuable resource for information about all of Social Security's programs. In addition to using our website, you can also call our national toll-free number 1-800-772-1213. We can answer specific questions and provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.
Northwestern Regional Housing Authority

215 South W Street
Wilkesboro NC 28697

Northwestern Regional Housing Authority has provided essential housing services to our less fortunate neighbors in the mountain counties every working day of the past 30 years. Programs include: Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, Property Management, New Development/Mixed Finance Model, Homeownership Program and Counseling, General Construction Contracting, and Family Self Sufficiency.
Wilkes Habitat for Humanity

910 C St.
North Wilkesboro NC 28659

Habitat builds homes with/for low income, families with volunteer labor. Hmes are then sold to eligible applicants at no profit, no interest mortgages. Potential homeowners must contribute at least 500 hours of labor towrd building of their homes.
hosted by: www.wilkeswebsolutions.com